It is with excitement and gratitude that we announce Metro Council’s approval to allocate an additional $1.96M to Nashville Public Library’s FY24 Operating Budget.
Mayor Cooper put forth to Metro Council an NPL budget increase of $1,323,300. Council voted to allocate funds for all items in the mayor’s budget proposal, plus an additional $633,000, to fund more out-of-classroom program slots and increase student transportation through Nashville After Zone Alliance (NAZA).
This new funding will allow NPL to better serve all populations through supports, resources and programs delivered within and beyond the walls of our 21 branches.
FY24: Metro’s Investments in NPL
- New Donelson Branch: 11 New Staff (6 months of funding)
- Library for Deaf & Hard of Hearing: 3 New Staff to better serve the 700,000 differently abled residents who rely on NPL
- NAZA: Funding to Increase Transportation and Out-of-Classroom Program Slots for All Metro Nashville Youth
- Limitless Libraries: Outreach Ambassador to School Communities
- Votes for Women: Metro-funded Position for Program Coordinator
- Early Literacy: Two Traveling Children’s Librarians to serve eight branches without a dedicated Children’s Librarian.
- Language Inclusion: Translating Elements of the NPL Website into Spanish, Arabic and Kurdish
NPL Interim Director Terri Luke and her administration are also celebrating Metro’s approval of a 6% cost of living adjustment increase for Metro employees. It is wonderful to see our dedicated library workers better compensated for the excellent customer service they provide.
Lastly, Council voted to reserve 4.4% of the “Four Percent” General Fund, a portion of which will be allocated to NPL for collections and maintenance. We will share those totals with you when they are available.
“I’m looking forward to the fiscal year ahead, because these investments are a great opportunity to create meaningful supports and services for all our customers,”Terri Luke, Interim Director.
To learn more and become involved in advocacy efforts for NPL, register to serve as an NPL Ambassador.