National Library Week is an annual celebration of our nation’s libraries, library workers’ contributions and promote library use and support. This year especially, libraries like our beloved Nashville Public Library deserve a tremendous celebration!
Even in the face of the pandemic, Nashville Public Library staff continue to exceed our community’s demands and adapt resources and services to meet their users’ needs during these challenging times. Whether people visit in person or virtually, NPL offers endless opportunities to transform lives through education and lifelong learning.
We invite you to join us in celebration of one of our city’s most valued resources and one of the best libraries in the country – Nashville Public Library!
Tuesday, April 6 – National Library Workers Day
Do you appreciate your neighborhood NPL branch? Maybe you attend a particular program hosted by a favorite librarian? Is there a librarian who went out of their way to help you or a family member? Here are a few ways you can join us to celebrate our dedicated and talented library staff:
• Make a sign to display when you drive up for curbside services or hold it up if you are attending a virtual program. Send a card or note in the mail. Get your branch’s address here.
• Share a message of thanks through social media. Be sure to tag Nashville Public Library and include #Grateful4NPL!
• Visit the National Library Workers Day website to nominate a favorite library worker.
Wednesday, April 7 – Library Giving Day
The Nashville Public Library Foundation provides the financial support required to deliver the quality programming and services that sets NPL apart from other library systems throughout the country. Your donation to NPLF is an investment in the essential and impactful education and literacy services and learning resources NPL provides to all members of our community – completely free of charge. Here’s how you can support NPL on Library Giving Day:
• Donate. Any amount will help ensure NPLF can provide the funding needed for our library’s growing children, youth and adults with programs and resources. All gifts will have double the impact thanks to Google Fiber, our Library Giving Day Match Sponsor!
• Encourage your family and friends to give through social media by sharing this link: nplf.org/donate and adding #GIVE2NPL.
Thursday, April 8 – Take Action for Libraries Day
Nashville Public Library is a department of the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. As such, NPL depends on public funding to support operations, staffing, maintenance and collections. This upcoming budget year, we are asking our council members to provide funding to:
• Grow the library’s collection (books, movies and music both tangible and digital)
• Grow library staff to continue providing pandemic-era services — curbside pickup, virtual programming, Book a Librarian, etc. — after branches are open to the public, making the library more accessible to everyone in our community.
Here are some ways you can be an NPL Advocate:
• Contact your district council member to let them know how much NPL means to you and your community. Encourage them to meet NPL’s funding needs by investing $4M in collections and adding ten additional library staff to keep our library’s collections and programs growing to meet the ever-changing needs of neighborhoods across Nashville and Davidson County. Click here for a list of council members and the library branches in their district.
• Encourage your family, friends and neighbors to advocate for NPL through social media by sharing this link: nplf.org/nlweek and adding #GROWNPL.
• Use the library. Take advantage of the thousands of e-books, audiobooks, streaming platforms and databases available online. Don’t have a card? Click here to get one.
MAKE A DONATION!